"People said they didn't watch country music on TV (but) when it came to Saturday night and 'Town Hall Party,' Beverly Hills would have their eyes on it. A lot of my studio calls came from somebody watching it and seeing me there."
Joe Maphis 1981
Joe Maphis's presence on 'Town Hall Party' made him a guitar legend. As the show's bandleader, his dazzling, flamboyant work was prominent behind other acts and in his frequent solo spots. Watching 'Town Hall,' Ozzie Nelson decided to recruit Joe to back his son Ricky on his first, pre-James Burton Imperial sessions. THP brought Joe studio work including film soundtracks for films like 'Thunder Road' and 'God's Little Acre.'
Maphis's THP performances inspired countless rockabilly and surf guitar innovators including surf guitar godfather Dick Dale. Joe's tutelage made Larry Collins of the Collins Kids a phenomenal guitarist in his own right.
Now, you can see why the Hollywood elite flocked to Joe. This is Maphis at his wildest, using his doubleneck Mosrite guitar as a musical Uzi. Taken from September 1958 to December, 1959 performances (the show went off the air in 1960) the 21 performances feature:
• Maphis favorites Fire On the Strings, Katy Warren Breakdown and live versions of his Columbia recordings of Moonshot and Short Recess.
• Joe Maphis-Merle Travis performances of Wildwood Flower, Under the Double Eagle and Chet Atkins's Main Street Breakdown and a three way jam between Maphis, Travis and Larry Collins
• Joe and Rose Lee Maphis vocal duets on Billy Grammer's hit Gotta Travel On and Bill Monroe's Molly And Tenbrooks.
• Instrumental fireworks between Joe, THP fiddler Katy Warren, trumpeter Cliff Crofford and musically talented comic Quincy Snodgrass.
• A new essay by Rich Kienzle.
|At Town Hall Party DVD (0) 1|
|1:||Wait For The Light To Shine (& THE TOWN HALL|
|3:||Wildwood Flower (& MERLE TRAVIS)|
|4:||Under The Double Eagle (& MERLE TRAVIS)|
|5:||Main Street Breakdown (& MERLE TRAVIS)|
|6:||Rockin' Along (& LARRY COLLINS & M. TRAVIS)|
|8:||Bile 'em Cabbage Down (& QUINCY SNODGRASS)|
|11:||Gotta Travel (& ROSE LEE MAPHIS)|
|13:||Molly And Tenbrooks (& ROSE LEE MAPHIS)|
|14:||Fire On The Strings (& FIDDLIN' KATE)|
|15:||Katy Warren Breakdown (& FIDDLIN' KATE)|
|16:||Cannonball Blues (& ROSE LEE MAPHIS)|
|17:||Orange Blossom Special (& FIDDLIN' KATE)|
|18:||Wednesday Night Waltz (& FIDDLIN' KATE & ROSE|
|20:||Cotton Eyed Joe (& FIDDLIN' KATE & ROSE LEE|
|22:||I Feel That Old Age Creepin' On (& QUINCY|
|24:||Your Sweet, Sweet Lips (& ROSE LEE MAPHIS &|
|26:||Green River Rag (& FIDDLIN' KATE)|