'Internationale Pilzvergiftung' von Bernd Matheja
The Beatles in the Mirror of the German Press 1963 - 1967
!!! IN GERMAN LANGUAGE !!!
Around 40 years after their artistic high point the Beatles are still an important theme – and no end is in sight because their influence was too great on the worldwide developement of history in the sixties, and by no means only in the musical-cultural sphere.
Since then, wagonloads of books have been written about John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison und Ringo Starr, and have tried to illuminate the life and work of the 'Fab Four' from Liverpool from all possible perspectives.Anyone wanting to attempt a further publication had better have a really meaningful idea or good material – preferably both.
And he can, for instance, let articles and documentation speak for themselves in order to answer the question:
How were the Beatles represented in parts of the German press and therefore, how were they 'sold'?
Especially in a time, in which, having long hair that reached the edge of your collar was surefire provocation of a slap in the face; and in a time when 'Negro Music' still belonged to the language use of the politically correct and many eternally backward people with clean-shaven necks made jokes that referenced the animal kingdom ("They’re Like Baboons", "Apes",“Plague of Beetles“)
This unique collection turns the clock back and in an informative and amusing way presents original newspaper headlines, short articles, reviews and commentaries: only seldom are they truly humerous, most are in deadly earnest, with a completely false tone, and often completely incompetent, as far as the recognition of cultural, sociological and economic effects where Beatlemania was concerned.
Scarcely imaginable from our present-day perspective, these excerpts mirror the spirit of the age that was prevalent between the years 1963 and 1967 when the four Liverpool musicians stood at the peak of their creative highpoint.
Many forgotten, thought to be lost
'snippets' from newspapers, magazines and music journals revive a period of only five years, which changed everything to the extent nothing was the same afterwards."Beatlehairdo: Expression of Personality? Dance lessons at the proper age can contribute much to clarification.“ "In a package to the Beatles“Swiss woman in mailing carton almost suffocates.“Lay one finger on the Beatles and World War 3 will break out!“
The (Original quote 1964) ’International Mushroom Poisoning’
doesn’t only consist of text examples. Equally attractive optical additions supplement the work and due to their high collectable value add considerably to its value. For instance:
- Color covers from magazines (among others all the Bravo-Magazine-Beatles covers and complete reproduced articles!)
- Sensational fan photos and also in all of the concert halls of the ’ BlitzTour’.
- All German record covers of the time (Singles, EPs, LPs).
- The tickets from the ’BlitzTour’ Concerts.
- Hilarious caricatures
Many treasures from private archives are here to be seen for the first time in a book:
- Menu cards from the Mitropa / German Sleeping and Eating Car Association DSG (from the German Railway Special Train for the ‘Beatles Blitz Tour’ end of June 1966): "Calf loin Baden- style with cauliflower au-gratin" a.o.
- Record company press releases and publicity handouts (in adventurous graphic stencil form) “Electrola’s newest sales rocket!!!” etc.
- the detailed, pages-long original itinerary for the 'Blitz Tour': “Cocktail Reception at the Swimming Pool – Swimming not required“ etc.
- Gandiose stage photos from the
- 'Blitz Tour' concerts in München, Essen and Hamburg
- The official tour posters for these appearances
- Photos from the memorable concert at the Hollywood Bowl (USA)
- The text and the visual presentation result in a compendium that has never been put together in this form –that will serve to inform Beatles fans and will also provide many a laugh and a shaking of heads.
Guaranteed to be contagious.