Thank You For The Days
The Sixties were the most important decade in the development of purepop music. New directions, new fads and trends, new sounds. And, mostof all, new faces ...almost weekly. Many of those new faces are stillremembered. There have been many books on Sixties pop heroes. Whyanother one?
- Thank You For The Days (to quote the unforgettable Kinks smash Days)lets you see familiar faces in unfamiliar ways. Youll even see theBeatles and the Rolling Stones, but not in their coloured swimsuitsor in womens dresses. This is truly something different.
- Thank You For The Days mixes previously unseen snapshots with unguardedlive shots. Plus informative captions! For example, the Kinks RayDavies in the German city of Luedenscheid - The Rattles playing mini-golf- The Lords singer Ulli checking neckties - The Bee Gees and theirvery own wheelbarrow - The Troggs Reg Presley serving drinks - KeithMoon (The Who) cracking mussels - The Walker Brothers buying a car,and many more.
- Thank You For The Days is a cornucopia of mega-stars (Beatles, RollingStones, Jimi Hendrix, Cream), hit artists (Kinks, Who, Troggs, PrettyThings, Seeds, Standells etc.), and outsiders (The Syn, The MarquisOf Kensington, Anita Harris, The Matadors). Most of the photos weretaken in Germany, either on stage, or in TV or recording studios.Theres so much you havent seen, but pride of place goes to severalcompletely unknown photos from the Beatles early days at Hamburgsfamous Star-Club in 1962. Here are John, Paul, George, drummer PeteBest and Roy Young on piano. Their very first producer, legendaryorchestra leader and composer Bert Kaempfert, is sitting in the audience.Sensational stuff!
The book is divided into seven chapters:
- Beat/R&B: Searchers, Lee Curtis, The Spencer Davis Group, Them a.o.
- German bands: Boots, Rivets, Die Anderen, Giants, German Bonds a.o.
- Line-crossers: Drafi, Adam & Eve (first line-up), Paul Wrges, Manuela a. o.
- Pop, Mods etc.: Creation, Smoke, Yardbirds, Electric Prunes, Herd a. o.Folk, Soul: Donovan, Joan Baez, Christopher & Michael, Flirtations a. o.
- 60s/70s: Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Hardin & York, Free, Taste a.o.
- Plus, there are ultra-rare shots from well-known German TV music shows:
- TV faces: Beat-Club, 4-3-2-1 Hot and Sweet, Beat! Beat! Beat!
Still not convinced you need this book?
Here are some more names:World Of Oz, Procol Harum, Marbles, Marsha Hunt, Casuals, RaymondFroggatt, Showstoppers, Free, Rocking Ghosts, Tielman Brothers, SamThe Sham And The Pharaohs, The Young Idea, David & Jonathan, Grapefruit,Liverbirds, Traffic, Edgar Broughton Band, Blizzards, The Nice. Thankfor the Days is the work of music archaeologist Bernd Matheja.Sincehis highly recommended book 1000 Nadelstiche (plus its CD companionseries) and the multi-volume CD projects Pop In Germany and Smash!Boom! Bang! Mathejas name has become synonymous with formidably well-researchedSixties projects and incredible research.This time, Matheja wouldlike to acknowledge the help of the music magazine Good Times. Manyitems were borrowed from their files, and this book would have beenimpossible without their help.
|Thank You For The Days ... - Bernd Matheja 1|
|1:||28 x 20,7 cm|