1-CD with 35-page booklet, 33 tracks. Playing time approx. 78 mns.
- Watch for renewed press attention for Hank Thompson following his death in November 2007.
- 33 of Hank Thompson's hottest honky tonkers from Capitol, inclusive Rockin' In The Congo !
- Seven songs from his greatest LP, 'Songs For Rounders!'
- Sidemen include hot shot country guitar country legends like Merle Travis and Joe Maphis!
- Hank Thompson's hits created the honky-tonk/western swing hybrid George Strait later rode to fame!
The late Hank Thompson didn't play rock 'n' roll (although one of his last appearances was at a British rockabilly fest), but he didn't play straightahead Western Swing, either. His trademark was top-poppin', boot-scootin' honky tonk vocals framed by the powerful, buoyant and danceable sound of his Brazos Valley Boys, who hit Southwest dancehalls like a sequin-suited tsunami!!! Hank Thompson's bouncing upbeat songs, as bubbly and full-bodied as a rich Texas lager, stood out. He recorded steadily from 1946 until shortly before his death, and Bear Family has selected the jumping’est and rockin'est titles. This set slides 33 of his best down the bar, along with a Rich Kienzle essay featuring extensive song comments and insights from Hank Thompson himself.