4-CD box (LP-size) with 84-page hardcover book, 89 tracks. Playing time approx. 267 mns.
- Complete studio recordings by the Father of Bluegrass from 1981 – 1994!
- Bear Family’s incredible project of reissuing every studio recording by Bill Monroe is now finished!
- Collectors and fans can own everything that Bill Monroe recorded from 1936 - 1994.
- This set includes recordings with the legendary Outlaws like Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, and others
- It also includes the recordings with country legends, bluegrass stars and Monroe disciples like Emmylou Harris, the Country Gentlemen, Seldom Scene, Mac Wiseman, Carl Story, and others.
Mission Accomplished! Back in 1988, we began the monumental task of issuing every recording by the Father of Bluegrass, Bill Monroe. Nearly 20 years and five boxed sets later, we’ve finished. When we started, Bill Monroe was still alive, and bluegrass was a minority-interest music. In the intervening years, Bill Monroe has died, but bluegrass music has gone from strength to strength. The industry bible, 'Billboard' magazine, actually started a Bluegrass chart, and bluegrass/old time country music formed the soundtrack to one of the most successful movies of recent times, 'O Brother.'
Our final Bill Monroe box captures the great man in the autumn of his years. He had nothing left to prove, but still made fabulous records because he wanted to, and because he still had legions of admirers who wanted nothing more than to record with him. That’s why this set includes vocal contributions from Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, John Hartford, Emmylou Harris, the Oak Ridge Boys,
Barbara Mandrell, and even Johnny Cash….not to mention fellow bluegrass stars like the Osbornes, Ralph Stanley, Del McCoury, Jim & Jesse, Mac Wiseman, the Country Gentlemen, Carl Story, and the Seldom Scene.
Bill Monroe’s earlier recordings were powerful, insurgent…even revolutionary… music. These are the works of an elder statesmen. A prideful man with plenty to be proud of!